st: RE: rugplot

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: rugplot
Date   Sat, 17 May 2003 16:31:56 +0100

Nick Cox

> Here is a small graphical trick possible in an up-to-date
> Stata 8:
>
> levels myvar, local(levels)
> histogram myvar, xtic(`levels', tposition(inside))
>
> I don't know what limit there is on how many levels
> you can show. I guess that it bites for data sets
> large enough for this to be of little or no value
> graphically.
>
> I believe that a similar idea is referred to in many circles
> (S-Plus, R?) as drawing a rugplot. Original reference
> welcome.

Lee Sieswerda kindly directed me to Brian Ripley's
implementation in S-Plus.

After posting I recalled that Tufte uses the term
rugplot in his 1983 book (reference in manuals)
but his usage does not match what I think is now
common usage. His rugplot is a set of interlinked
scatter plots, whereas all other mentions of rugs
I can recall refer to sets of ticks, usually along an
axis of something else.

The other detail even more deserving of mention
is that Stata <8 had -graph, oneway- and -graph,
twoway oneway-. It seems that -graph, oneway-
did not make the boat Stata Ship 8 before it left harbour.
So I am just reinventing something which
has been in Stata in different form. However,
it can be applied to a _much_ wider range of
graphs than in Stata <8.