st: RE: Systematic sampling in Stata

From   "Ronnie Babigumira" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Systematic sampling in Stata
Date   Fri, 16 May 2003 13:28:38 +0200

Hi Cruces
I dont have much to say about systematic sampling however, I would like to
comment on the primary sampling unit. Ideally, this should be the unit of
observation, in household surveys, it is common to have the household as the
psu (in which case you would svyset the household_id as the psu). From your
email, I can also see that your weights are clearly specified so that
shouldnt be a problem. The next thing you are expected to specify is the
stata (this could be the areas from which the psus were selected,
alternatively, the strata could be representing variables of interest, (for
example in a study I was involved in, we considered population, market
access, and agricultural potential as key variables so we formed stratum as
diffrent combinations of these 3, from which we selected a number of
households). In your case, I see that you sampled on the basis of whether an
area had more that 100,000. This could be the basis for the stratum.

Hope this helps

Ronnie