st: Filling missing values. with averages

From   "Moon Joong" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Filling missing values. with averages
Date   Mon, 12 May 2003 18:35:04 -0400

Dear Stata Lovers,

I'm trying to find a smart way to fill missing values with averages between nearest values. The data looks like the following:

id year rates
1 1960 .35
1 1961 missing
1 1962 .45
1 1963 .47
1 1964 missing
1 1965 .46
2 1945 .2
2 1946 missing
2 1947 .35
2 1948 missing
3 1949 missing
3 1950 .56

What I want to do is, take the example of id 1 of year 1961 (which is missing), to fill the average value between .35 and .45 (that is (.35+.45)/2) into the missinge observation of year 1961. Since I have a lot of observations to fill in, using brute force by hands takes forever and would be inaccurate. I think it's very straightfoward, which I don't know since I'm a beginner.

Thanks in advance.

MoonJoong

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/