st: EMS

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: EMS
Date   Thu, 8 May 2003 11:12:02 -0500

In a discussion with a SAS user, she said:

"The use of the proper error term is important. The random statement will
show you the table of expected mean squares and you can find the proper
error terms from there. For a good time, you can use the Keppel and Zeddik Appendix.
it tells you how to find EMS using a very labor intensive process that hurts.
Use a random statement in SAS!

proc glm;
class genotype strain;
model y=cov genotype genotype*cov strain(genotype);
random strain(genotype);
test H = genotype E = strain(genotype);
by marker;

Using the following EMS table, you can construct the other hypothesis tests
for the covariate and genotype * covariate interaction:

Source Type III Expected Mean Square
cov Var(Error) + Q(cov,cov*genotype)
genotype Var(Error) + 6.2515 Var(strain(genotype)) + Q(genotype)
cov*genotype Var(Error) + Q(cov*genotype)
strain(genotype) Var(Error) + 14.886 Var(strain(genotype))

Is there an equivalent statement in Stata for EMSs???

I asked this once before when I had Stata 7. Now I have Stata 8.

If there is not an equivalent statement to help Stata users, is it on the list of features to add?

Or am I forced to slog through the Keppel procedure by hand?

--
David C. Airey, Ph.D.
Vanderbilt University

*