Re: st: logY, Tobit and the prediction of Y

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: logY, Tobit and the prediction of Y
Date   Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:16:43 +0200

To my question below, Mathew Stalker replied:

The prediction of Y from your model would simply be the exponential of the
predicted logY.

---

My reply: Well, according to Wooldridge, in his book Basic Econometrics
(2000:202), this does not work, since the value of Y will be systematically
underestimated by simply taking the exponential of logY.
---

However, you should note that the log of zero is minus infinity, so in your
log model no observations where Y is zero will be included.  Is this really
what you want?

---

My reply: I solved this by setting 0 expenditures to 1 befor the log
transformatiom (as I wrote in the mail).

---

Christer

                      [email protected]
                      m                                To:       [email protected]
                      Sent by:                         cc:
                      owner-statalist@hsphsun2.        Subject:  Re: st: logY, Tobit and the prediction of Y
                      harvard.edu

                      23.04.03 15:02