Re: st: list a variable

From   Gary Longton <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: list a variable
Date   Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:18:54 -0700

[email protected] wrote:

> I have look at the manual for a long time,and try different variable format,
> but, it seems not work.
>
> Suppose I have a variable with the following numbers:
>
> obs1 123456789123456789
>
> That means, the entry of this variable is a huge number.
> However, when I ask Stata to list this variable.
> Stata always return:
>
> obs1 1.234..e17 instead of its original format.

Take a look at the help concerning

1) display formats (whelp format)

and

2) numeric storage types and precision (whelp datatype)

Even if your variable was type double (2 byte storage), you would not
get the 18 digits of precision you desire.  You will need to store such
a number as a string variable to retain all 18 digits.

- Gary