st: RE: RE: missing values

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: missing values
Date   Wed, 16 Apr 2003 17:37:28 +0100

Greg Branch

> <<"I have a data file that has the value 6 for the response
> don't know
> in attitude items. I want to specify the value '6' as
> missing so that it
> is dropped from analyses.">>
>
> "replace attitude = . if ..."
>
> I think you can also do
>
> "regress...... If attitude ~= 6"

This is true. Syntactically, you can do this, but
you are then committed to remembering to do this
on all analyses which should be comparable. It
is better to fix the missings once and for all.

In addition to -mvdecode- mentioned by
various people, note that Stata 8 supports
different kinds of missing values, and the
intention was to allow distinctions between
(e.g.)

	did not answer
	don't know
	not applicable