st: RE: RE: RE: copy values of matched cases

From   "Nick Winter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: copy values of matched cases
Date   Tue, 8 Apr 2003 14:09:37 -0400

Not quite sure what you are asking.  But here's a guess: the data are in
some meaningful order before this merging operation, and you would like
the data to be in that order when you are done, notwithstanding the
resorting of the data to make the merge work.

If that's the issue, then add the following lines before and after all
the other code:

	. gen n=_n

	<< sorting and merging here>>

	. sort n
	. drop n

This just indexes the current sort order, then resorts at the end.

Note that if the data were -sort-ed on some other variables to start,
you could just re-sort- on those variables at the end, rather than
creating a new variable.

Nick W.