st: Re: graphs in pdf format

From   [email protected] (Alan Riley)
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: graphs in pdf format
Date   Tue, 08 Apr 2003 09:14:33 -0500

Lars Korsholm ([email protected]) asked
> will exporting graphs in pdf format be available on other platforms as
> well?
> I use unix and linux
> We realy miss it

Support for PDF output is built into Macintosh OS X, making it as easy
to support on that platform as WMF is under Windows.  To support it
on other platforms, we would need to start from scratch.  We do not have
any immediate plans to support it on other platforms right now.

However, it should be very easy to create PDF files whether you are
under Windows or Linux.  In Windows, you may install a PDF printer
driver from Adobe.  When you print to this "printer", you will be
asked for a filename, and the resulting file will be a PDF copy of
whatever you print.

Under Linux, if you have ghostscript installed, you likely also have
a little shell script installed named -ps2pdf-.  I just generated a
quick PDF of a Stata graph by typing in Stata

   . sysuse auto

   . scatter mpg weight

   . graph export test.ps

   . !/usr/bin/ps2pdf test.ps test.pdf

The resulting PDF file looks great in my copy of Acrobat reader.

--Alan
([email protected])