st: RE: RE: l. on st. (language on statalist)

From   Lee Sieswerda <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: l. on st. (language on statalist)
Date   Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:33:12 -0500

John,
Yes, I'm sure that is the case. And, as someone else pointed out, many
people act as though e.g. and i.e. are interchangeable. Its time to start
lobbying our school boards to reinstate Latin and Greek and proper English
usage into the school curriculum! Many will stand in our way, but damn the
torpedoes (really, tethered mines), back to Fowler's poetical 1908 King's
English, I say!

Here's one for you. There, apparently, is a plural form of that American
gem, "y'all". Correct me if I have it wrong, but I think it is "all y'all".
Closer to home, if I go to a local restaurant alone I am asked "What can I
get for you?" But, if I go with friends I'm asked, "Do yous all want
coffee?" Need I say more?

Not that such things would ever appear on Statalist, except in jest.

Now y'all don't take this stuff too serious now, y'hear?

Lee