Re: st: creating lags

From   Chris Rohlfs <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: creating lags
Date   Sat, 29 Mar 2003 22:00:30 -0600 (CST)

to create lags with a panel dataset, do the following:

if "id" is your cross-section identifier & "year" is your time variable,

sort id year
tsset id year

* now you can create lags using the lag operator lN. for the Nth lag.
* to create the 5th lag of the variable x, then we do:

gen l5x = l5.x

* (that's the letter l and then the number 5)  alternatively, fN. gives the Nth lead.

-- note, tsset only works if your cross-section identifier is a numeric
variable.  if your cross-section variable is a string, then you'll have to
do something to turn it into a numeric variable first.  one way to do this
is:

egen n_id = group(id)

take care,
chris