Re: st: correlation panel data

From   Chris Rohlfs <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: correlation panel data
Date   Thu, 27 Mar 2003 14:56:37 -0600 (CST)

thomas,

i would try just running pairwise regressions betweenyour different
regressors using xtreg, xtgee, or areg.  to get the correlation between x
& y this approach, do the following.

	regress y on x.  let's call the coefficient _b[x]
	regress x on y.  let's call that coefficient _b[y]

	now the correlation between x & y is equal to (_b[x]*_b[y])^0.5

now, let's say "id" is the panel id variable & that there are random
effects by id.  in stata code, we'd do:

	xtreg y x, re i(id)
* here we're saving the coefficient in a local macro called `bx'
	local bx = _b[x]

	xtreg x y, re
	local by = _b[y]

* here we're making a new macro equal to the correlation
	local r = (`bx'*`by')^0.5
* here we ask stata to show us the value for our new correlation.
	macro list _r