st: Replacing missing household-level id #'s for individual householdmembers

From   Rick Tardanico <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Replacing missing household-level id #'s for individual householdmembers
Date   Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:46:46 -0500

Greetings,

In long format, I have data on 1000+ individual members (hmem) of 200 households. For each household, the household id variable (hid) includes an id-# for the first member only, as follows:

hid hmem
1 1
. 2
. 3
2 1
. 2
3 1
. 2
. 3
. 4
. 5

For each household member (hmem), I need to replace the missing household id-# (hid) with the corresponding id-#. My attempts so far have failed. Would someone be able to clue me in on where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,
Rick

*
* For searches and help try: