Re: st: AppleScript and StataSE

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AppleScript and StataSE
Date   Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:44:30 -0600

> Running the following Applescript from the Script Editor
> --
> tell application "StataSE"
>	activate
>	open file "myfile.do"
> end tell
> --
> where myfile.do is in the active directory of Stata (Stata Data in this
> case) gives the error message:
>
> "StataSE got an error: File some object wasn't found"

Your path is wrong.  A true HFS path precedes a filename with a : to specify
the current working directory.  You should've entered:

tell application "StataSE"
	activate
	open file ":myfile.do"
end tell

To specify an absolute path, enter:

tell application "StataSE"
	activate
	open file "Macintosh HD:Users:someuser:Desktop:myfile.do"
end tell

Stata's HFS paths follow the POSIX model in that absolute paths start with a
path delimiter (in this case, a colon) and relative paths do not.  Macintosh
HFS paths are the opposite.

> Any thoughts on these errors? The FAQ on text editors suggests this or
> some variant (not the one posted) should work.

I didn't see where this was suggested but it does work.

-Chinh Nguyen