RE: st: V.8 chokes on quotes

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: V.8 chokes on quotes
Date   Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:34:15 -0000

Anders Alexandersson

> Glen Waddell <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I use Word as my text editor.  The "smart quotes"
> > that Word applies have not given me trouble in
> > earlier versions, but I have found that v.8
> > chokes on them, yielding an invalid syntax error.
> > Any ideas?
>
> Glenn may not like this reply but it needs to be said again:
> Don't use a word processor to edit text files. See
>
> http://repec.org/docs/textEditors.html#nowp
>
> Perhaps this should be a FAQ on Stata's web site at
> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/ ? -findit text editor-
> within Stata gives the link above but the keywords
> "text editor" on the FAQ web page does not show the link.
> I guess this is a FAQ.

I agree with Anders. If you want to use Word as your
text editor, go ahead, but please don't expect Stata to
pay attention to other software's proprietary formats.

On the FAQ mentioned:

It is certainly an FAQ. Why is it not on Stata Corp's
website? The reason is simple. By mentioning or not
mentioning various software, some commercial, and
particularly by recommending some software and recommending
against (at least certain uses of) certain software,
by common consent this FAQ is best kept detached from
Stata Corp's own material.

That is, Stata Corp as such does not, and will not,
host anything that could be read as public evaluations
of others' software, irrespective of whether those others
are its obvious competitors. (I am not thinking here
of other arrangements such as the relationship
between Stata and Stat/Transfer.)

The FAQ is the responsibiity of those named as authors,
and of its maintainer, and its placing outside
http://www.stata.com symbolises that.

That said, the FAQ is intended as a source of advice
based on experience and it is explicit about what are
perceived as its limitations.