Re: st: treating a categorial variable as a set of dummies in a "glm

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: treating a categorial variable as a set of dummies in a "glm
Date   Fri, 21 Feb 2003 00:39:39 +0900

Peter Lassen posted:

> I believe there is an easy way to treat a nominal variable as a set of
> dummies in a glm-command.

> Let's say i have the following: glm Y X1 X2 X3, family(binom) link(logit)

> and the X3-variable is a numeric categorical variable, which have to be
> treaten as a set of dummies.

> Off cause I  can create 4 new dummies, and use those instead of the X3,
> but ithink there is an easier way of doing that?

Do you mean something like -xi: glm Y X1 X2 i.X3, family(binomial) link(logit)-?

Or did you want the linearly dependent complete set, as produced by -tabulate X3,
generate(dummy)-?

Joseph Coveney