st: Re:

From   "Ezell, Mike" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re:
Date   Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:38:58 -0600

Thomas,

This should do it for you:

bysort name: gen tmpfirst=(_n==1)
gen idint=sum(tmpfirst)
drop tmpfirst

If you want the number of records per case:
bysort idint: gen totrecs=(_N)

--Mike

---------------------------------------
Michael E. Ezell, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Sociology
Vanderbilt University
Email: [email protected]
---------------------------------------

--On Thursday, February 13, 2003 2:28 PM -0800 Thomas Heckelei <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi,

I'm a stata beginner and have a recoding problem.

Cross sectional units in my panel data set are currently
identified by names (string variables). I want to make an integer
variable out of it such that it has a new (ascending) value for
each new unit. All the standard routines to "destring" and recode
that I could find looking at the help file would require me to
type all the names (>400) at least once.

It might be important to know that the number of time
observations differ between units (unbalanced).

Is there any possibility to do this within state or do I better

Thanks for your help, Thomas

===============================
Thomas Heckelei PhD
Assistant Professor, IMPACT Center and
Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
Washington State University

123C Hulbert Hall
PO Box 646214, Pullman WA 99164-6214
509-335-6653