st: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Referring to a varname, leading to errors

From   "Glen R. Waddell" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Referring to a varname, leading to errors
Date   Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:16:32 -0800

Lee/All,

Nor do I ever use abbreviations.  Not knowingly, that is, which is the
entire point.  As such, the suggested "set literalvarnames on" would be
an adequate fix, if nothing else, to simply avoid the potential pitfall.
If such a switch is not possible, would it be possible to have Stata set
to trigger a display anytime a varname is interpreted as an abbreviation
of another varname currently being held in memory?

- Glen

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Lee Sieswerda
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 10:55 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: Referring to a varname, leading to errors

Nick,
I'm not sure how useful such a straw poll is, but since you asked... I,
for one, never use varname abbreviations. Perhaps in some deep recess of
my psyche I believe in Murphy's Law and don't want to run into Glen's
problem inadvertantly. So, I would not be against having some way to
toggle varname abbreviations off. But I wouldn't see it as a high
priority. I do, however, use shortcut syntax for variables (e.g., var*,
var1-var15) everyday and would never want that to be changed. Also,
judging by the code snippets on Statalist, I'd say that the vast
majority of users use command name abbreviations, and would never want
that to change either!

And speaking of abbreviation, many thanks to StataCorp for all of those
new aliases that allow a user to abbreviate calls for help (e.g. whelp
reg; whelp tab; whelp inrange; etc.). That is a very useful time-saving
feature.

Lee