Re: st: Is it OK to post pre-publication SJ/STB drafts on the Web?

From   [email protected] (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Is it OK to post pre-publication SJ/STB drafts on the Web?
Date   Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:09:03 -0600

Roger Newson <[email protected]> asks about posting pre-publication
drafts of Stata Journal papers on their websites,

> A query re Stata Journal (SJ) inserts (and indeed Stata Technical
> Bulletin (STB) inserts). Does StataCorp have any legal and/or moral
> objection to authors posting pre-publication drafts of these on
> their own websites? I ask because this seems to be common practice
> these days with a lot of refereed journals in statistics [...]

Absolutely you may.  As a group of only semi-reformed academics, we are very
much in favor of the widest possible dissemination of ideas and methods.

The only thing we do not want to see are web sites with collected full-text
versions of Stata Journal papers from multiple authors.  We worry that such
sites would reduce subscribership and so make it difficult to continue
publication of the Journal.

-- Vince Wiggins