st: RE: loop (please ignore previous)

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: loop (please ignore previous)
Date   Sun, 9 Feb 2003 18:44:10 -0000

Jun Xu posted twice, here labelled (1) and (2):

> (1)
>
> > puzzled by a problem when writing an ado file. Suppose I have
> > var1 var2 var3 var4 var5......vark, and I want to do the
> > following loop:
> > *********
> > var1
> > var2
> > var3
> > vark
> > var1 var2
> > var1 var3
> > var1 var4
> > var1 vark
> > var2 var3
> > var2 var4
> > var(k-1) vark
> > var1 var2 var3
> > var1 var2 var4
> > var1 var2 var5
> > var1 var2 var3....vark
> > ******************************************************************
> > Basically, what I want to do is like step wise exhausting
> > all combinations
> > in a systematic way from univariate, bivariate, trivariate, to
> > multivariate....Or, I can say for every variable in the
> > variable list, there
> > is indicator variable associated with it.  I either take
> > this variable in or
> > out in each run.  And there should be 2^k possibilities.  I
> > have no idea how
> > to handle that.  COuld anyone give me some hint?  Many
> > thanks in advance.
>
> (2)
>
> I think I might not have explained my problems clearly.  I
> have k indicator
> variables (coded as 1 or 0) and I would like to know the
> response patterns
> (for example for latent class analsis) to these k
> variables.  For example,
>
> var1 var2 var3 ....vark
> 1    0    0         0
> 0    1    0         0
> 1    1    0         0
> 1    1    1         1
>
> I would like to know for each response pattern, how many
> cases are there,
> and programmed into an ado file.  My key problem here is
> how to run through
> all the combinations (univariate, bivariate, and trivariate)
>
> One posibility is that I used the following cods (or
> reviced version to fit
> into an ado file)

> clear
> for num 1/6: set obs 100\ gen xX=invnorm(uniform()) \ gen DxX=xX>0.6
> gen pattern=0
> local i=1
> while `i'<6 {
> 	replace pattern=pattern+Dx`i'*10^(6-`i')
> 	local i=`i'+1
> }
>
> aorder
> list Dx1-Dx6 pattern
> sort pattern
> list pattern
> gen count=1
> collapse (sum) count, by(pattern)
> The resulting data matrix looks like:
>
> ============================
> pattern	count
> [...]

1. To get a tabulation of patterns with some instances,

egen all = concat(var1-vark)
tab all

2. The following program suggests some possible lines of attack.

program permlist, rclass
         version 8
         syntax varlist
         tokenize `varlist'
         local nvars : word count `varlist'
         local imax = 2^`nvars' - 1

         forval i = 1 / `imax' {
                 qui inbase 2 `i'
                 local which : di %0`nvars'.0f `r(base)'
                 local vars
                 forval j = 1 / `nvars' {
                         local char = substr("`which'",`j',1)
                         if `char' {
                                 local vars "`vars'``j'' "
                         }
                 }
                 local vlist `"`vlist'"`vars'" "'
         }

         local varlist
         forval i = 1 / `nvars' {
                 foreach w of local vlist {
                         local nv : word count `w'
                         if `i' == `nv' {
                                 local varlist `"`varlist'"`w'" "'
                         }
                 }
         }

         return local varlist `"`varlist'"'
 end

I use the undocumented -inbase- command
to get the binary equivalent of  1 ... 2^k - 1 (I omit the
null case in which none of the variables are chosen).
It is important to get leading zeros explicit.

-inbase- is in Stata 8; for Stata 7 or Stata 6 type

. findit inbase

or use the search method of your choice
to find it in Bill Gould's files. In Stata

. type http://www.stata.com/users/wgould/inbase/inbase.ado

Then each variable is or is not chosen according
to whether each digit is 1 or 0.

Then we need to sort for your purposes according
to the number of variables chosen.

The whole list is left behind in memory
in the form (e.g. for a b c d)

"d " "c " "b " "a " ... "a b c d "

I think the above program should also
work with very minor modifications in Stata 7.

3. For implementation of a different, and less
general,  technique see -allpossible- on SSC.