st: RE: parentheses don't balance?

From   "Steichen, Thomas" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: parentheses don't balance?
Date   Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:51:07 -0500

Christopher W. Ryan writes in part:

> Stata 8 on Win98, freshly updated.
> The following command was generated by using the overlaid
> twoway graph dialogue box, using the sysuse auto data.
> It yielded an error message: "parentheses do not balance"
>
> I count 21 parentheses in each direction, ie 21 pairs.
>
> Am I missing something?

It seems so... in the example you showed (reproduced below),
in the last line for option -order-, there is a missing quote
mark that causes the last two parentheses to be lost.  This is
why you get the error message.

> And how could a command generated by a dialogue box (that is,
> by Stata itself) have an error in the parentheses?  I didn't
> type them in. Must mean there is something wrong with the
> way the dialogue box works?

This could occur if you manually typed the "insides" of the -order-
option (i.e., the '1 "domestic 2 "foreign"' part) so that it passed
inappropriate information to the command processor.

Tom

> twoway (scatter mpg weight if foreign==0, msymbol(square) msize(medsmall)
> mcolor("255 0 0") mlabel(rep78)) (scatter mpg weight if foreign==1, msymbol(x)
> mcolor("0 0 255") mlabel(rep78)), ytitle(miles per gallon, color("0 0 128"))
> xtitle(weight, color("0 0 128")) title(Mileage for Weight, size(medium))
> subtitle(By country of origin, size(small)) caption(Stata fictional data)
> note(February 2003) legend(on colfirst order(1 "domestic 2 "foreign"))

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any
attachment(s), contains information that may be confidential,
protected by the attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or
proprietary non-public information.  If you are not an intended
recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended
recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
then delete it from your system.  Use, dissemination, distribution,
or reproduction of this message and/or any of its attachments (if
any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.