Re: st: one doubt about stata 8 and 7

From   [email protected] (William Gould, Stata)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: one doubt about stata 8 and 7
Date   Tue, 04 Feb 2003 09:55:28 -0600

Rodrigo Briceno <[email protected]> asked,

> [...] in case that I can't buy the upgrade to Stata 8, which is the politic
> that STATA will take about the users like me?

Our policy is as follows:

    1.  We provide Technical Support for the current version of Stata and the
        one prior, meaning Stata 8 and Stata 7 right now.

    2   If you had Stata 6 and asked a question of Technical Support, you
        would be informed of this policy and then, because you might not have
        known about the policy, that one last question is answered.

    3.  In providing Technical Support for prior versions of Stata, we often
        need additional turnaround time because reproducing the problem
        can take longer.

    4.  If you have Stata 7 and encounter a bug that is currently fixed in
        Stata 8, we tell you that the problem was fixed in Stata 8 and
        suggest that you upgrade.

    5.  No new updates are provided to the prior releases.  The last set of
        updates to prior releases, however, are left on the web site.  Using
        Stata 6 or Stata 7, you can type -update- to bring your old copy
        of Stata as up-to-date as possible.

We have been following this policy every since Stata 2.0.

-- Bill