st: RE: one doubt about stata 8 and 7

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: one doubt about stata 8 and 7
Date   Tue, 4 Feb 2003 15:00:41 -0000

Rodrigo Briceno

> I wish to ask something: in case that I can't buy the
> upgrade to Stata 8,
> which is the politic that STATA will take about the users
> like me? Can we
> have updates on ados, and updates in executables, etc. for
> STATA 7? Or
> definitevely we will need to migrate to STATA 8 ?. My best
> wish is to know
> the new capabilities of the new tool for graphics, but by
> the moment I can't
> have it.
> It's just a question of general knowdlege.

Stata Corp may well want to comment, but their longstanding
practice is as follows:

1. You -- or more generally whoever bought it -- have a permanent
licence to Stata 7. You are entitled to technical support
so long as you and Stata Corp are both extant.

2. Stata Corp does not issue updated executables or ado
updates to any version before the current version. If
you've -update-d your Stata recently, that's it.

3. Users who produce Stata programs will in some cases
continue to issue programs which will work with your
Stata. In the case of graphics, I think that is most
unlikely. Life is short, and there is no point to
writing for superseded software.

4. Statalist of course exists to support users of all
versions, although the further back you go, the more
difficult it can be to answer your question to your
satisfaction.

The Stata website gives lots of examples of the
new graphics.