RE: st: changing directories within stata

From   "Ronnie Babigumira" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: changing directories within stata
Date   Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:56:58 +0100

Thanks Neil and Stephen. I am sorted.

Ronnie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Neil Shephard
Sent: 3. februar 2003 12:44
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: changing directories within stata

> Dear listers, simple but failed to figure it out. Below is a snap shot of
my
> hard disk. I have no trouble moving down from c to p_1 within stata,
> however, what I am failing to do is to move a level or two higher (eg from
> p_1 back to projects, without typing the full path of projects)
>

>                  C:\
>                  +----+
>                    stata
>                       +----+-------------+
>                            |             |
>                          projects       reading
>                            +---+----+
>                                |    |
>                               p_1  p_2
>
> Any help will be appreciated

Stata seems to follow the same directory structure as most OS's in so
much as '.' refers to the current directory, and '..' refers to the next
level up.

Thus if  you start in the root directory (c:\) and change to p_1
typing the full path-name

. cd c:\stata\projects\p_1
. pwd
c:\stata\projects\p_1\

Then to move up to c:\stata\projects you can type

. cd ..
. pwd
c:\stata\projects\

If you wanted to move up two levels to the c:\stata then

. cd ..\..
.pwd
c:\stata\

Hope this helps,

Neil

Neil Shephard
Genetics Statistician
ARC Epidemiology Unit, University of Manchester

"Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it
were so it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's
logic" - Tweedledee (Alice Through the Looking Glass)