st: Re: how to get tables into publishable format

From   "Richard Upward" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: how to get tables into publishable format
Date   Mon, 03 Feb 2003 08:33:47 +0000

Christopher Ryan wrote:

> Furthermore, what if you log your output to a plan-text .log file?  I have
> found that the tables appear in TextPad with space-separated cells.  Copying
> and pasting this into a spreadsheet puts whole rows into single cells:  another
> mess.

I often copy entire plain text log files into a certain spreadsheet (Excel) and then use the "Data -> Text to columns" command.  Choosing "Fixed Width"  then allows me to format many tables at once provided they are of the same type.  This works very well if you have e.g. many regressions in a log file because output is always in exactly the same columns.  (Not sure whether this would help with complicated cross-tabs, however.)

Richard