st: Docking of review/variable windows no more?

From   [email protected] (Alan Riley)
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Docking of review/variable windows no more?
Date   Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:16:52 -0600

Nick Winter ([email protected]) wrote
> Is it me, or has the feature whereby the variables and review windows
> "dock" with the main stata window disappeared?  With the original
> executable (12-22-2002 I think), moving the main window also moves those
> two windows, even though they are not contained within the main window.
> With the current executable (1-23-2003), this does not appear to be the
> case any more.
>
> Is there a setting I'm missing to turn this back on?  It was pretty
> handy to have them all move around together, once I have them set up as
> I like.

In the 23 Jan 2003 update, we indeed changed the Review and Variables
windows so that their position is no longer locked relative to the
top-left corner of the overall Stata window.  From the whatsnew.hlp
file distributed with the 23 Jan 2003 update:

     2.  The Review and Variables windows now maintain their position
         independently of the main Stata window.  If you install this as an
         update, the first time you run the new executable the Review and
         Variables windows may not appear or may appear in odd positions.
         Select Default windowing from the Prefs menu and then reposition the
         windows as desired.

This change was made due to the fact that these windows are now
floating/tool windows and can be moved outside the main Stata window.
Their default position on screens sized at 1024x768 and larger is
just to the left of the main Stata window.

We found that many users were maximizing Stata, which results in the
main Stata window occupying the entire screen.  With the Review and
Variables windows maintaining their position relative to the top left
corner of the main Stata window, this would result in those windows
disappearing off the left side of the screen.

Since Stata will remember its windowing preferences between sessions,
we decided that the way to avoid confusion among some users was to
not dock the Review and Variables windows and instead let users
position them exactly where they wanted them.  In the future, we may
add a preference so that users can choose to dock these windows.

Alan
([email protected])