Re: st: kdensity

From   [email protected] (Jeff Pitblado, Stata Corp.)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: kdensity
Date   Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:27:01 -0600

David Airey <[email protected]> points out that my first quess was
wrong:

> Thanks, but no, Jeff, I did not type gr 7 at any point. Why would one
> command go to gr7 output and another to the new graphics window if I
> did in two command lines? Please try it for yourself on a machine
> running OS X and the latest Stata 8/SE. My other question still stands
> as well.

> Here again:

> . version
> version 8

> . sysuse auto, clear
> (1978 Automobile Data)

> .kdensity length     <-- goes to gr7 output

> . tw kdensity length <-- goes to new graphics output

> Finally, verinst indicates no problems, and I've updated to the latest
> version.

In a private email I asked David to run a few commands.  One of which resulted
in:

	. which kdensity
	/Applications/Stata/ado/updates/k/kdensity.ado
	*! version 2.3.8   11aug2002

identifying the most current update to -kdensity- for Stata 7.  In Stata 8, he
should have recieved something like:

	. which kdensity
	/usr/local/stata8/ado/base/k/kdensity.ado
	*! version 2.5.15  11dec2002

This suggests to me that David's installation of Stata 8 was put on top of his
Stata 7 installation.  Thus David will need to do a fresh install of Stata 8,
after removing the directory that contains the "mixed" installations
(i.e. /Applications/Stata).  If David wants to keep both versions of Stata, I
would suggest using the following directory names:

	/Applications/Stata7	for the Stata 7 installation
	/Applications/Stata8	for the Stata 8 installation

--Jeff