RE: st: On choosing a stats package...

From   "Ed Bini" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: On choosing a stats package...
Date   Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:06:15 -0500

I agree with David's assessment of Stata. Stata 8 is awesome. I am an SPSS
junkie too but am trying to learn Stata for large CDC surveys (NHANES, BRFSS
etc). David I have a question for you. The CDC surveys are in ASCII or SAS
format. How do you get them into Stata and is there a way to get the
variable and value labels into Stata without having to use SAS? Thanks.
Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of David L. Van Brunt
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 9:08 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: On choosing a stats package...

I've started using Stata 7 because I needed to analyze a data set from the
CDC that used design variables on a national survey to handle
stratification. SAS couldn't do it, CDC recommended either SUDAAN or Stata.
We had Stata at work, so I went that route.

I'm an old SPSS jockey. I've been impressed with Stata's speed for most
things (though I'm shocked that it took 10-15 minutes to run an ANOVA on an
800 observation data set on a G4 titanium), and the command structures is
pretty easy to get used to. It seems to do a lot that other sw can't, or
does it in a more straightforward way. Except the graphs, maybe ;-).

Here's the real seller to me: Stata's documentation is by far the best
included documentation you will find. SPSS's is just a syntax guide with bad
examples. SAS's is... Well, you'll need to buy other books. JMP's is pretty
light, in my opinion, though it's a fine piece of software. Stata's goes
beyond the software operations and actually helps you learn about what
you're doing, and know what your alternatives are. Then there are the easy
online updates...

I've been impressed enough that I just bought my own copy for "home" use
(Work's a network license). Work's is version 7 on a PC, home's is version 8
on Mac OS X. Looks just the same, except of course for 8's added features.
The cross-platform nature of it makes it attractive to me too, largely
because I want to support companies that support all platforms
even-handedly. Stata does that and as far as I can tell, always has. Officer
thinking, in my view.

Good luck with your decision.