st: kdensity

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: kdensity
Date   Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:55:59 -0600

I'm a little confused about kdensity and tw kdensity in Stata 8. I understand that tw kdensity uses kdensity, but all the same, for some reason, kdensity does not use Stata's new graphics, and outputs in gr7 format. The normal and student options are for kdensity, which leaves them in gr7 format too. Is this intended?

Also, for me, kdensity with the student(#) option does not work although the normal option does, unless my df is somehow out of range?

. sysuse auto
(1978 Automobile Data)

. kdensity length

. tw kdensity length

. sum length

Variable | Obs Mean Std. Dev. Min Max
-------------+--------------------------------------------------------
length | 74 187.9324 22.26634 142 233

. kdensity length, normal

. kdensity length, student(74)
option student() not allowed
r(198);

Also, Stata 8 graphics absolutely _must_ be made to run faster (and I understand this will be a priority):

. sysuse citytemp, clear
(City Temperature Data)

. do "/tmp/SD00420.0000"

. display "$S_TIME"
15:45:45

. qladder tempjuly, ylabel(none) xlabel(none)

. display "$S_TIME"
15:47:05

That's 1 minute 20 seconds to wait for the graph on page 256 of G-M [R]. The underlying data are instantaneous. I'm running OS X (10.2.3) and the most updated Stata 8/SE.

-Dave

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/