st: Re: RE: New ways to export tables from tabulate, etc.??

From   "Wendell Joice" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: New ways to export tables from tabulate, etc.??
Date   Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:59:57 -0500

Nick/Lee
Thanks for your comments. I certainly understand and appreciate Stata Corp's
position. In that regard, I would like a generic solution similar to the one
you (Nick) mentioned, a while back, using , perhaps, something
like -matcell()- ( "The -matcell()- option of -tabulate- has matrix result."
Nick ). That way, I could export the table data into a standard ascii tab
delim file and import it into almost anything. My problem is that I needed
to use 'table' (for pweights/ 3 way tables, etc.) as opposed to tabulate. I
don't see an option in 'table' that will export the data into an ascii file.

Re Lee's comments: I am using the solution Lee suggested and it works
fine....just involves more steps. As Lee correctly surmized, I was trying to
use the table routine in (shhh....ms word) and I did not know about the
shortcoming Lee mentioned. Thanks Lee, very helpful.

Bottom line: I can live with the 'copy table' solution, it works. But if
there is a "simple, direct" way to get table output data from the 'table'
command into an ascii tab delim file, I would sure like to know it.

Wendell Joice

I don't think so (I haven't read the entire manual).

For what it's worth, it is perhaps pertinent to
emphasise, especially for relatively new list members
not accustomed to the usual outbursts of prejudices
here from long-active members, myself included:

1. As a point of principle, Stata Corp is cross-platform
and in general aims to produce tools valid across
operating systems and independent of other software
which users may or may not have access to (or use).
There have been, and will continue to be, exceptions
to that, including the recent introduction of ODBC
functionality, but it's a strong Stata principle nevertheless.

2. In practice, Stata Corp developers mostly do not
use Microsoft software in a non-trivial way,
except for the purposes of
producing an executable which will run under Windows.
And a large fraction of official Stata innovation
is driven by an academic model of the developers
working on their own best ideas (in fact, Stata Corp is
more like the academy than much of the academy...).

3. In practice, although to a lesser extent, the majority of
the most productive user-programmers seem to behave
similarly, never use Word, Excel, etc., and would
have no interest in writing tools for interacting with
them -- in some cases even strong moral or technical
objections to the notion.

Nevertheless, it is, I guess, true that

4. One of the largest single groups of Stata users would use
as their other software (probably) their mailer, MS
Word and MS Excel.

But that's as may be. A more positive comment is what --
precisely -- do you need, want, expect?