st: RE: comparing distributions

From   "Chevalier,A" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: comparing distributions
Date   Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:09:34 -0000

Dear Ada,

One possible test is the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test of equality of distribution, which you could test for each variable. It is available in stata: ksmirnov. I hope this is of some help for your problem.

Arnaud

Dr Arnaud Chevalier
Institute for the Study of Social Change
University College Dublin
Dublin 4
Ireland
and
Centre for the Economics of Education
London School of Economics
Tel + 353 1 716 4616
http://www.ucd.ie/~economic/staff/

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Ada Ma [mailto:[email protected]]
	Sent: Thu 16/01/2003 15:02
	To: [email protected]
	Subject: st: comparing distributions

	Hello.

	It's a statistics question as well as a stata question.

	I need to compare two sets of data with the same variables.  Other than
	looking at the percentiles and quantiles of the two data sets, what can I
	do?  Are there any test, both parametric and nonparametric, that would allow
	me to do something like that?

	Are there Stata commands that would help me on this aspect too???

	Many thanks in advance.

	Ada Ma
	Department of Economics
	University of Aberdeen, Scotland