st: RE: reduce a variables numbers of digits to 4 counting from left

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: reduce a variables numbers of digits to 4 counting from left
Date   Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:49:02 -0500

If there aren't any decimal values in your numeric variable, you may
destring the variable, i.e.

   destring numvar, gen(strvar)

followed by a invoking the substr() function

   replace strvar = substr(strvar,1,4)

If numvar contains decimal values, it won't destring properly due to the
problems related to converting decimals values (stored using binary digits)
to string, such as when converting 0.1 to a string.  The binary
representation of 0.1 (and of many other numbers) is not exact; this has
been often discussed on statalist in the past.  I will hold off making
recommendations on how to proceed if numvar contains decimals, for now,
given the complexity involved.

Patrick Joly