st: RE: RE: Egen ends behavior apparently violates rules in documentation (2)

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Egen ends behavior apparently violates rules in documentation (2)
Date   Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:00:57 -0000

Devra Golbe

> >   the following code fragment suggests that egen ends does
> > not operate as
> > the documentation  (pasted at the bottom of my message)
> > suggests.  Specifically,  with the tail option, if no
> punct(pchars)
> > appears, the tail should be empty. However, my output
> > suggests that under
> > these circumstances (no appearance of pchars) the tail
> > contains the entire
> > "word".
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your insights.
> >
> > Devra

A quite separate comment on this.

The substantive problem Devra is tackling
looks more like one for

-split- (Stata 8)
-split- from SSC (Stata 7)
-strparse- from SSC (Stata 6)

It may also be a "multiple response" problem
in the sense of the FAQ mentioned earlier today.