st: Re: restricting access to files

From   baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: restricting access to files
Date   Mon, 06 Jan 2003 12:49:40 -0500

--On Monday, January 6, 2003 2:33 -0500 Fred wrote:

I was wondering if there was anyway to restrict access to certain files
on  our website that will be accessible via Stata's "net from http"// ..."

We want to put up ado and do files that can be accessed by a group of
research fellows, but not the general public (as well as, separately,
other  files for the general public). The reason we want to restrict
access to  some files is that the files do not have general use, being
dependent on  specific variables and existing files; and because they
provide
descriptions of research activities and plans that should not be public.

I can see that we might send an encrypted zip file, but then we lose the
useful automatic save to the c:\ado directory. Does anyone have insight
into how we might protect ado/do files within the net from http:// system?
Piece of cake--just put them on a machine within your corporate/organizational firewall. E.g. http://econ.bc.edu is an Apache web server, but you'll have a hard time getting it to talk to you unless you're on the BC network. No Apache config required if you have a firewall of some sort in place already--and any Linux/Unix/Mac OSX system can be an Apache server in about 5 minutes.

Kit
Christopher F Baum, Boston College Economics, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA
[email protected] http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec/baum.php

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/