Re: st: RE: RE: mean and median with multiple measures

From   Kate <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: mean and median with multiple measures
Date   Thu, 2 Jan 2003 08:46:11 -0800 (PST)

Yes. Also no 'treatment' here. Just have a collection
of measures made during 'routine physicals' on these
animals, different numbers of measures per animal,
data set in the long form, and want to take a stab at
stating what are 'normal' values--the mean, sd, also
MEDIAN, etc--for this animal.

"FEIVESON, ALAN H. (AL) (JSC-SD) (NASA)" wrote:

> Kate,
>
> Nick suggests we don't have enough information to
properly answer your
> questiion.
> I would like to add that specifically, we need to
know:

>  a) but what sort of model for your data you are
assuming
>  b) what paarameters in the model you are trying to
estimate. I'll take a
> guess:
>
> a) y_ij = mu + a_i + e_ij = j-th measurement on i-th
animal

> mu is mean creatinine level for a population of
animals undergoing (this)
> experiment
> mu + a_i is mean creatinine level specific to the
i-th animal
> a_i ~ N(0,siga^2)
> e_ij is random variation of measured creatinine
level about the mean for the
> i-th animal
> e_ij ~ N(0, sige^2)
>
> b) you wish to estimate mu and siga
>
> Is this correct? - If not - please give your
interpretation of what a) and
> b) are.
>
> Al Feiveson

measures

> Kate
>
> > I have about 200 measures of creatinine but they
are
> > from only 25 animals. How do I calculate the mean
and