RE: st: PDF Stata 8 manuals

From   "Stephen Rothenberg" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: PDF Stata 8 manuals
Date   Sun, 22 Dec 2002 12:14:54 -0800

I'm not in agreement with the analogy David makes.  Though the Stata manuals
are indeed like textbooks, their intent and use is entirely different.
Stata manuals are designed to explain how to use the tools Stata contains;
for instruction in theory and application the user must turn to the
references the manuals provide or visit the Stata bookstore or other source
and purchase applicable texts.

I agree with Gene's proposal to make the proposed PDF manuals available
through password only to those who've bought the manuals or paid a
subscriber fee.  Many journals provide PDF copies of their articles on the
same basis.

Steve Rothenberg
Drew University of Medicine & Science, Los Angeles
National Institute of Public Health, Cuernavaca, Mexico