st: RE: Adjusted means and proportion for Survey data

From   Lee Sieswerda <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Adjusted means and proportion for Survey data
Date   Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:19:29 -0500

Judging by the code, -adjmean- and -adjprop- don't work with survey data
because they are programmed to re-estimate a non-svy linear regression based
on the arguments that you supply. As a 5-o'clock quickie, you might try
calculating the adjusted mean the old-fashioned way. For example:

<svyset this and that>
svymean mpg
local mpgmean = _b[mpg]
svyreg price mpg foreign

* mean of price, by foreign, adjusted for mpg
di _b[_cons] + (_b[mpg]*`mpgmean') + (_b[foreign]*1)
di _b[_cons] + (_b[mpg]*`mpgmean') + (_b[foreign]*0)

The same logic applies to -adjprop-, only using logistic regression rather
than linear regression.

Of course, the little exercise above doesn't do all of the nice things that
-adjmean- does, like graphs and confidence intervals. It may or may not be
easy to alter -adjmean- to run -svyreg- rather than -regress-. It would make
a potentially interesting project. However, The Two Towers opens tonight
where I live and I'm going, so no working on code for me tonight!

Regards,
Lee

Lee Sieswerda, Epidemiologist
Thunder Bay District Health Unit