st: RE: Heckman with covariates that perfectly predict selection

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Heckman with covariates that perfectly predict selection
Date   Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:30:30 -0000

K Ssdjk

> I am running a heckman selection model (stata7, two-step estimation)
> and have some RHS vars which perfectly predict censoring.
> While I get
> estimates, the parameter on the perfect predictor seems to be the
> opposite sign from what I would expect. For example I have an
> indicator (Dmil) which is a perfect predictor: when Dmil=1 the
> dependent variable is always observed. However the estimated
> selection effect is negative,

> select
>    Dmil   -48.28     .
>
> I understand the large value but why not positive? The rest of the
> estimates are plausible and rho=-0.15. Any help/suggestions would be
> appreciated!
>
> PS There might be a write-up in STB-43 about this but I could not
> find it.

Commenting on the PS only: it doesn't seem that
anything in STB-43 bears on this question.