st: -charlist- available on SSC

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -charlist- available on SSC
Date   Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:07:29 -0000

Thanks to Kit Baum, the -charlist- program
posted and discussed earlier today is now
available from SSC. The output and syntax are changed
from my original posting.

In an up-to-date Stata, type

. ssc desc charlist

and if desired

. ssc inst charlist

For explanation of the -ssc- command,
please see the first URL under my signature.

Briefly, -charlist- shows which characters
are present in a string variable.

Here is a concocted example of one way
in which it might be useful.

Stata tells you that something which should be numeric
is string, and -destring- won't play:

. destring mystuff, replace
mystuff contains non-numeric characters; no replace

So you ask for a report:

. charlist mystuff
123I

We see that "I" characters are present.
Perhaps whoever typed in the data was
distracted, or the OCR software made a mistake,
so some "1" (one) characters have been entered
as "I" (capital I).

. l mystuff  if index(mystuff,"I")

       mystuff
 12.       I23
 57.       I23
 73.       I23

You decide on appropriate surgery:

. replace mystuff = subinstr(mystuff,"I", "1",.)
(3 real changes made)

. destring mystuff, replace
mystuff has all characters numeric; replaced as byte

Of course, there are other ways to do
this -- and also other examples in which
-charlist- may be useful.