st: Constrained estimation, simultaneous for two seperate groups?

From   Ernest Berkhout <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Constrained estimation, simultaneous for two seperate groups?
Date   Wed, 04 Dec 2002 11:57:29 +0100

Hi all,

I tried to find the answer for some time now but untill today I did not succeed, so I thought I'd better try the Statalist at this point. I'm looking for a way to perform

- a simple OLS regression of say Y on X1, X2...Xk for two different groups (men & women). But I want to
- impose the restrictions that for say X1 the coefficients for both groups are the same.

Of course one can estimate a simgle regression with interaction terms for all X2..Xn but that way the output will be immense in my case where there are >100 dummyvariables to be estimated. I wondered if there would be a more efficient solution within Stata. I tried the <reg3> with <constraint>, but that doesn't work because there are no overlapping records between the first group (men) and the second group (women). The errorcode I get is 'not enough observations'.
Is there someone would could help me out?
TIA!

Ernest Berkhout
Stichting voor Economisch Onderzoek
Universiteit van Amsterdam

De SEO is verhuisd! Tegenwoordig ben ik bereikbaar op:
Kamer 3.08
Roetersstraat 29
1018 WB Amsterdam

tel.:+ 31 20 525 1630
fax:+ 31 20 525 1686
http://www.seo.nl
"To an economist, real life is a special case"

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/