RE: st: STATA Vs. SAS

From   Richard Herrell <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: STATA Vs. SAS
Date   Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:16:33 -0600 (CST)

Nick is absolutely right that part of the problem is simply not seeing how
to do it in Stata.  I know I'd use Stata more if I didn't simply have to
face learning how to do something in a new language when I could do it in
my sleep in SAS.  Every time I spend time working in Stata I'm impressed
by how well it's put together but end up returning to SAS for data
management.

One example of something I couldn't see how to do in Stata: In SAS I
frequently use if ... then/else if ... then/else structures in the data
step.  For example, in SAS I'd write:

if x=0 then y=1;
else if 1 < x < 10 then y=2;
else if 11 < x < 20 then y=3;
else y=.

I know I can write a series if...then statements in Stata, but writing a
structured statement that ends when the first true condition is met is
more efficient code, and I find I seem to have a hard time getting all the
conditions met correctly in Stata when the conditions get complicated.