st: RE: RE: RE: RE: syntax question

From   "David Moore" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: syntax question
Date   Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:23:02 -0800

There's at least one thing you can do with the SAS macro programming
language that I have found useful.  You can create functions.  I know egen
allows some limited capabilities with respect to new variable generation,
but functions are more general.  For example, they can be used to calculate
or return values in many different programming contexts, not just to create
variables.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 10:36 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: RE: RE: syntax question

David Moore

> One problem,
> however, is that SAS
> allows variable arrays and I believe these still do not
> exist in Stata.  You
> can program around this, of course, but that's not a simple
> matter of
> converting from one language to another.  Those with Stata
> 7 will benefit
> from the "new" looping commands.  Those of us who still
> can't afford to
> upgrade must resort to -while- loops.

Stata does not have arrays as such. But see the FAQ

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/arrays.html

(which predates Stata 7) and add to it the facilities of -foreach- and
-forvalues- and then the question -- for those
who know both SAS and Stata -- is what can
be done easily or with a little effort in SAS
which is difficult or impossible in Stata? (The reverse
question might interest some people, of course, but is not
mine.)