st: RE: tabcount

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: tabcount
Date   Sun, 10 Nov 2002 17:11:24 -0000

Kazi Ali Toufique

> Thanks to Nick and Kit for help re counting all codes in
> tabulate command.
> This is fine but as I understand the range of values that
> has to be provided
> has to be consecutive. Am I right? Let me make it clear. If
> I have three
> codes for a variable such as 1 , 2, 4 then I have to
> provide the option
> v(1/4)but then the output will include null values for
> "pseudo code" 3,
> which was never a code in the first place. Is it possible
> to have an option
> that lists the codes rather than the values (range)so that these
> non-existent codes do not appear, without taking any
> recourse to recoding?

Yes, this is possible, and it is already there.

The help for -tabcount- indicates
that the values must be a numlist and
the help for numlist indicates that
values need not be consecutive.

So an argument of -values(1 2 4)-
is fine, as an experiment would have shown.

What will not be fine is specifying
more than 5 values, as -tabcount- inherits
this limit from -tabdisp-.