st: RE: Rare bug/feature in -graph,ylog-

From   "Steichen, Thomas" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Rare bug/feature in -graph,ylog-
Date   Mon, 4 Nov 2002 08:54:19 -0500

Roger Newson writes (in part):

> I think I have discovered a rarely-encountered bug/feature in
> the Stata -graph- command. (I use the very latest Stata 7
> under Windows 98 SE.) It appears that, if there is only one
> observation in the selected sample, and -ylog- (or -xlog-) is
> specified, and the single y-value (or x-value) is in the open
> interval between one and zero, then -graph- complains of
> non-positive values.

The issue at hand here has to do with Stata setting an automatic
width for the axis when the user does not specify it.  With only
one point, Stata chooses to set the axis width to be 1 unit about
the point, so when the single point is in the (0,1) interval, 0
becomes the lower graphing limit and, thus, the log transform
tries to operate on non-positive values.

Tom

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), contains information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-public information.  If you are not an intended recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.  Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message and/or any of its attachments (if any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.