st: RE: about stacked mean bar chart

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: about stacked mean bar chart
Date   Fri, 1 Nov 2002 09:52:18 -0000

Xiaoqu Luo

> I want to creat stacked bar chart where each bar stands for
> the mean of a variable. I tried using "graph v1 v2 v3, bar
> means by (v4) stack" to produce this but STATA said that it
> was invalid. It looks like "stack" cannot be used with
> means (i.e. "stack" option can only have the bar to
> represent counts). Do you have any idea to do  stacked bar
> chart on mean?

I guess that -graph, bar- was written with
the notion that people might want to stack
totals, but not means.

One work-around would be as follows:

1. Create variables which are means
and give them the same variable labels as
the originals:

foreach v of var v1 v2 v3 {
	bysort v4 : egen mean`v' = mean(`v')
	_crcslbl mean`v' `v'
}

2. Select just one observation from each
group:

	egen tag = tag(v4)

3. Draw the graph

	graph meanv1 meanv2 mean3 if tag, bar stack