st: RE: Re: Winmail.dat

From   "Steichen, Thomas" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Winmail.dat
Date   Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:02:37 -0500

Nick Winter writes (in part):

> But I'll say from my own experience that it can be
> *extremely* hard to get MS Outlook not to send in rich text
> format (which is what triggers the attachment of winmail.dat).
>
> ...(at least sometimes) when I compose a new
> message, no matter how many ways I try to tell Outlook to
> send it as plain text, it often ignores my pleas.

Along these same lines are the problems with corporate
disclaimers... my company has chosen to do and tags the
disclaimer on as an attachment. As a result of this, my
plain-text messages get automatically converted to some
form of HTML/rich-text structure, and there is absolutely
nothing I can do to avoid it.

As far as I can tell, this causes no problems for Outlook
recipients who do not use the digest (nor does it affect
the message I get echoed from the list), but I know it turns
parts of my messages (originals and replies) into gobblygook
for digest users, some non-Outlook mailers, and the online
archives.

I would fix it if I could... but I cannot.  So please try
to understand that it is the technology we are using that
is causing these problems and not an intent to ignore the
lowest-common-denominator technological standards of the
list.

Tom Steichen

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), contains information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-public information.  If you are not an intended recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.  Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message and/or any of its attachments (if any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.