Re: st: Model choice for predicting ordered non-normal categorical variable

From   John Hendrickx <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Model choice for predicting ordered non-normal categorical variable
Date   Wed, 30 Oct 2002 07:35:49 -0800 (PST)

You might want to try a Stereotyped Ordered Regression (SOR) model. A
SOR model calculates scale values for the dependent variable and
effects of the independent variable on the scaled dependent variable.
I'm not sure it would work with 18 categories though unless you have
a lot of data (and a fast computer).

A SOR model can be estimated using the -mcl- package, available from
SSC. Information is available at
http://www.sls.wau.nl/bk/bedrijfskunde/jhendrickx/mcl/stata/ in STB
56, and in briefly in Long (2001), "Regression models for categorical
dependent variables using Stata", paragraph 5.9.2.

Hope this helps,
John Hendrickx