Re: st: help with record length problem

From   [email protected] (William Gould)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: help with record length problem
Date   Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:41:52 -0600

Scott Talkington <[email protected]> writes,

> I'm attempting to read [...] a fixed format infile dictionary.  The file has
> a record length of 12000.  I either get an error telling me that the record
> is too long, or if I define lrecl specifically a message that 12000 isn't
> allowed.  (The limit appears to be something like 7,999?)

I have good news.  The limit was recently increased from 7,998 to 32,767.
Scott needs to update his Stata by typing

        . update query

and then following the instructions.

We changed the limit at the same time we released Stata/SE; the change was
made for all versions of Stata -- Stata and Stata/SE -- on all operating
systems.

Sadly, we forgot to update -help limits- or to tell anyone about the
improvement.

We will update limits.hlp the in the next ado-file update.

-- Bill