st: RE: Re: value labels for string variables

From   "HealthMaps" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: value labels for string variables
Date   Sun, 27 Oct 2002 09:29:14 -0800

It requires several extra steps. And encoding one database results in
different encodes for another. But most generally,  suppose I had several
variables with the same code set?  - as is the case. Suppose it were the
other way around, that is, no value labels for numerical variable? I think
folks would find this difficult to deal with. I would submit that for many
Stata users, string variables are often an analysis variable, so... value
labels are (would be) handy.

In SAS you set up a format and then whenever you need to, you apply that
format to any variable you choose. You can store the format and do not have
to create it but once. No merging, no encoding each variable, no sorting,
etc.

 I have found an interim way to deal with it as suggested. It's easiest to
just make a new variable with the string merging a labeling dataset with the
big one. Of course seldom do I really need all million records, so after it
is subsetted, I merge the label dataset set then. Its pretty easy to set up
in a macro.

Thanks for all the response and discussion and patience with a new Stata
user. This round certainly taught me a lot of things I needed to know.

Best regards,

Richard Hoskins