st: suggestion for Stata 8: value labels for string variables

From   "HealthMaps" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: suggestion for Stata 8: value labels for string variables
Date   Fri, 25 Oct 2002 08:28:52 -0700

I asked this list about the possibility of labeling string variables, like
ICD9 or 10 codes, census tract identifiers, with value labels. An ominous
silence.

I asked tech support who did everything possible to help me out suggesting
work-arounds. In the end, Stata does not allow value labeling of string
variables. (i hope i am wrong...) Tech support has very nice people.

Unfortunately all my data is loaded with string variables for codes for
various diseases, hospital procedures, geographic codes, etc. and to put
those labels as part of the database would significantly enlarge the
database. I tried the encode route but this means that every database I have
with the same set of codes has a different set of encoded values.

So I suggest that the capacity to value label string variables be added to
Stata 8. Something that one can do in SAS, SPSS, and S-Plus.

Richard E Hoskins
Spatial Epidemiology Unit
WA State Dept of Health
Olympia, WA USA